Guidelines for Charitable Donations
Grand Traverse Distillery has a long-standing commitment to serving the communities in which we do business through our contribution program. In the past, we have provided support to numerous local worthwhile nonprofit organizations and each year we receive numerous requests for contributions. Rather than give a little to a lot, we attempt to focus on a few events each year where we feel we can make a difference. Like all businesses our resources are limited so we hope that people appreciate our limitations. Due to the number of requests we receive, we cannot guarantee that all requests will be filled.
Your request will be rejected if it violates either of the following guidelines
1. According to MI state regulations, the donation of alcohol is illegal unless it is to be used for a raffle or auction.
2. Requests benefiting youth groups are not permitted according to DISCUS (The Distilled Spirits Council of the US) guidelines.
We try to focus our efforts on organizations headquartered within (or having a substantial presence in or effect on) our primary geographical area, which includes: Grand Traverse County, Michigan/Leland County, Michigan/Saginaw County, Michigan/Oakland County, Michigan
We especially align with those organizations which address, land and farm conservation, health services,
programs that positively affect youth in our community and cultural arts organizations
Your application should include:
About Your Organization – Legal Name, Executive Director, Phone/Email/Address, 501(C)(3) y/n, Mission Statement, Number of Board Members/Volunteers
About This Project – Contact Person, Title, Phone, Fax Number, Email, Amount or Item Requested, Type of Request (Operating/Project/Capital or Other), Summary of Your Proposal (One Paragraph), List the Proposal’s Target Population/Constituents/Geographic Communities
Proposal Narrative – Be sure to answer all of the following questions in the proposal narrative as incomplete applications will not be considered. Proposals should be no more than 5 pages in length.
Profile of your organization and of your request:
1. A brief summary of organization’s history, goals and key achievements.
2. Overview of organization’s structure and programs, including board, staff and volunteer involvement.
3. Description of the specific request that includes goals and objectives.
(If it is a project request, provide a profile of the project.).
4. Specific activities and timetable for meeting your stated objectives.
5. Future plan for sustaining this effort and strategy for building your funding base.
Attachments (the following must accompany the proposal):
IRS letter confirming 501(c) (3) tax-exempt status
1. You must be a U.S. based IRS 501(c) (3) qualified charitable or educational organization.
2. We will not contribute to an individual person or family.
3. We will not contribute to a political candidate or organization.
4. We will not contribute to labor or fraternal organizations.
5. We will not fund memorials or endowments.
6. We do not fund agency and/or school-sponsored walk-a-thons, athletic events or athletic group sponsorships.
7. We do not fund door prizes or raffles.
8. We do not fund school-affiliated orchestras, bands, choirs, drama groups, yearbooks, class reunions or class parties.
9. We do not consider organizations that discriminate by race, creed, gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, disability, age or any other legal basis prohibited by law.
10. We will not advertise in publications, yearbooks or school programs where the participants are not at least 21 years of age.
11. We do not consider applications by phone or verbal solicitations.
If your request meets the above guidelines please submit your request using the contact information below only, no later than 1 month prior to your event.
Thank you for your support and for considering us to be a part of your fundraising effort!
Please Mail your request to:
Or fax to: 231-947-7713
Charitable Contributions To the attention of the Spirits Ambassador
Grand Traverse Distillery
781 Industrial Circle, Suite 5
Traverse City, MI 49686
Organizations will receive a formal response by mail. Due to the volume of requests, phone calls will not be accepted for approval or disapproval of requests.