Grilled Steak with Bourbon Sauce
- 4 (1½-inch-thick) steaks
- Kosher salt
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil, plus more for grill
- 1 Vidalia or other sweet onion, chopped
- 1 apple, peeled and chopped
- ⅔ cup dried cherries
- 1 cup GTDistillery bourbon
- ⅓ cup molasses
- ¼ cup packed brown sugar
- 3 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tbsp. ketchup
- Red pepper flakes
At least 1 hour and up to 1 day before grilling, very generously salt steaks on all sides. Place steaks on a wire rack set over a baking sheet or plate and refrigerate, uncovered.
Make Bourbon Steak Sauce (see recipe below).
Thirty minutes before grilling, let steaks come to room temperature. Meanwhile, preheat a grill to high, direct heat and lightly oil grill grates.
Grill steaks 10 to 14 minutes, flipping once with tongs or a spatula, for medium-rare. (Check for doneness with an instant-read thermometer; steaks are medium-rare at about 130°F internal temperature.) Let rest 10 minutes, then serve with steak sauce.
Warm olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, 5 minutes.
Add apple, season with salt, and cook about 5 minutes.
Stir in cherries and bourbon; bring to a simmer and reduce by half, about 10 minutes.
Decrease heat to medium and add molasses, sugar, vinegar, Worcestershire, ketchup, and a pinch of red pepper flakes. Season with more salt and return to a simmer. Cook, stirring, about 2 minutes to let flavors blend. Let cool, then puree in a blender. Add more salt or vinegar to taste.
Bloody Mary Gazpacho
- 8 large tomatoes, peeled & chopped, including the juices from the cutting board
- 2 medium sweet onions, peeled and chopped fine
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 large cucumbers, peeled & cut into Brunoise
- 2 green bell peppers, cored & chopped fine
- 2 jalapenos, seeded & minced fine
- juice of 3 lemons
- 1 small bunch of Cilantro, chopped
- 2 cups McClure's or Suttons Bay Spice Company Bloody Mary Mix
- Louisiana Hot Sauce, Siracha or Tabasco, to taste
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 & 1/2 cups Grand Traverse Distillery True North Vodka
- 1/2 cup excellent quality olive oil
- Celery Sticks
- Melba Toasts
- Sour Cream
- Collins Caviar Peppar - or any other of our Caviars you prefer
- Chop all ingredients by hand as it is worth the effort! Combine the veggies, bloody mary mix, lemon juice, seasonings and stir all together.
- Chill for at least 1 hour. Add the olive oil and vodka and stir well again, taste and adjust seasonings.
- Chill very well for at least 3 hours prior to serving. Ladle into glasses, spread Melba Toasts with sour cream, top with caviar and float on top of Gazpacho. Serve with spoon and celery stick garnish. Buen Provecho!